What is it?
Accounting Coach is an online website that provides free information about accounting. There is a wide variety of topics that go from general to more specific, such as the Accounting Equation, Careers, and Manufacturing Overhead. In addition to this information, there is a dictionary, “test yourself,” and pro materials (must be paid) section.
What do I like about it?
– Under each section of information, there are different subcategories which you may click on to jump to that section. This can be very convenient and helps the reader to know what exactly will be covered in that section.
– There is a search box which can be very convenient in case a student needs to search something but doesn’t know where to find it or if it is even on the website.
– Includes crosswords of key words in each section. Also, there are tests, questions, and answer pages for each section to help students deepen their understanding and allow for self-checks of their understanding of the material.
– Tests give immediate feedback (if you choose to see the answer). However, the answer is not explained.
– Under the questions and answers page, you can either look at popular questions and their corresponding answers or you can ask a question yourself.
What do I dislike about it?
– You cannot do a test on a persons overall knowledge; you can only do tests on each individual sections.
– Tests are easy to cheat on. You simply have to move your cursor over the blank and it will reveal your answer. This could be avoided if you print out these tests.
– Test cannot do a tally of questions you answered correctly (or give a final score). For some students, this might be a feature that they would really appreciate.
– Cannot change tests according to different difficulty levels.
– There are ads on several of the pages. This can be a distraction for some students and is not a good idea for classroom management and control.
– Although the information pages are short and straight to the point, I would have liked to have seen more detail and go in greater depth.
How does this fit into the curriculum and how would I use it in my classroom?
This website can be used in the Accounting 10/20/30 curriculum. Unfortunately, this web resource does not go in as much depth on each subject as I would like; however, it does provide a variety of information which can help to achieve (along with other resources): Module 1B, Module 1D, Module 1G, a majority of Module 2, Module 3A-C, Module 4, Module 5 (although very little on 5B), Module 8, Module 9, and Module 13. By comparing this to the number of modules in the accounting curriculum, this website resource can help to achieve 8 out of 16 outcomes. Comparing this to other resources that I have found, this covers quite a lot of the curriculum although in a very general sense.
In my classroom, I could use this website resource in a couple different ways. The first way I could use this website is for an independent study unit. Students can do this on their own time or on free periods where they could choose from a list of topics that I have provided them. However, because this resource does not go into as much depth as I would like, I would use this resource in conjunction with others. This could help reduce the amount of material covered in class and allow the class to go in-depth with other materials.
Another way that I could use this in my classroom is as an extra resource for students who are struggling. This website can be linked from the class website/blog and be used as a study tool or as extra help if students are struggling.
One other way that I could use this in my classroom is to use the quizzes and games from this website and use as either homework, quizzes or extra practice for those students who are struggling or have completed work before the rest of the class.
Evaluation of Accounting Coach.
Overall, I definitely like Accounting Coach and would use it in my classroom. The website is very user friendly and it provides a general but diverse selection of information that students can use to study and practice. If I were to rate this website, I would give it an 8.5/10.